Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween

So yesterday was Halloween and let me start by saying that I am actually glad that I was so busy. For those of you who don't know...my mother's bday is Halloween. For the past 4 Halloweens I have taken Emma and Rachel (girls I watch) trick or treating and I originally thought it was going to suck but as the time went on I realized it's actually pretty fun and serves as a wonderful distraction.

I miss buying Halloween birthday cards and I miss buying her gifts and adding a little Halloween extra with it.....it really sucks. So I look forward to the day when I have a house and can overload it with Halloween decorations each year. I think I will buy myself something new to decorate with every year and make it like I'm buying her a bday gift.

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday morning when I woke up and had a text from my 18 year old niece (who is my niece from my husbands side)....she said "Happy Halloween and Happy Bday Mary!" I couldn't believe she remembered. It was so touching that she thought to send that to me. Courtney had known my mom since she was 3 and like everyone else who my mother came in contact with Courtney liked her a lot. It was just sweet that even though she is grown up now a child that I will always see as my baby niece remembered something so important. I didn't know at the time how important it would be.......turns out she was the only one who remembered. We talk about how other people just forget that the person even existed...well that's how I felt.

I was telling Scott later on about it and truthfully the reason I was telling him was to say "you jerk..this child remembered such an important day and you didn't." He of course asked how I was feeling and all that but it would have been nice if he had remembered on his own.....although I can't be mad at him too much because he doesn't remember his OWN parents bdays half the time. Oh well...maybe next year.

Anyway on a lighter note Scott and I went to the NYC Village parade last night and let me tell you it was interesting. There were freaks of all varieties out and about and I just know that many of these people wish they could dress in costume all year....some of them just looked a bit TOO comfy in thier costumes if you know what I mean.

We were almost trampled by a crowd when a fight broke out and later on I got my ass grabbed by some group of jerks as they ran by. Overall it was an interesting night. We are actaully contemplating JOINING the parade next year.

2 comments:

Dana said...

i really like your blog!! it's very cute and nice how you've all come together!!!

Melissa said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your mom! She was with you enjoying every minute of your fun fun fun night!!! You keep her memory alive in the best way! Love you!